Winter Reading Club for adults, teens and kids will kick off December 21 with the theme “Make your winter bright with books.” The club will run from Wednesday, December 21, through Sunday, February 12. Winter programs ranging from a new Mini-Art Show for teens and adults to a new Tot Time Playdate, as well as plenty of options for kids on winter break, fill the library calendar this winter.
Registration for Winter Reading Club is open now at parkridgelib.beanstack.org. Patrons can track their reading beginning December 21 through the Beanstack website. For adults, reading log bookmarks will be available for pickup at the service desks in Reader Services on the second floor. Readers in grades 6 through 12 can pick up a bookmark in the Teen Loft, and children in grade 5 and younger can get a reading log at the Children’s Services desk.
“Winter is the perfect time to get drawn into a great book,” said Library Director Joanna Bertucci. “And the library is a wonderful place to connect with others over a common interest, whether it’s a Storytime for preschoolers, an art workshop or a compelling presentation on a topic from history. We hope to see a lot of community members in the library this winter.” Bertucci said the Library staff are especially excited about the Tiny Art Show, where patrons can pick up a mini art kit, take it home and paint their own masterpiece, then turn it back in for display in the second floor lobby in January. The kits have all been reserved online and can pick their kits January 3 through 6 and will displayed during January in the second floor lobby.
About the Winter Reading Clubs
Children and teens from birth through high school can earn a prize book and a chance to win a bonus prize after completing 20 days of reading. If they read another 20 days by Sunday, February 12, they can collect another ticket for a chance to win.
Adults are challenged to read three books between December 21 and February 12. They can earn more tickets by completing one of four challenges: attend a library program; refer a friend to Winter Reading Club; attend an orientation in The Studio or The Media Lab; or write a review in Beanstack about a book they read this winter. Complete all four and earn four prize drawing tickets!
Winter programs brighten up cold months
In addition to planning the Winter Reading Club, the Library staff has a full schedule of programs for the season. Some highlights include:
- The annual Noon Year’s Eve party will be held Thursday, December 30, 11:15 a.m. to Noon, for kids and their families.
- The Firefly Family Theatre returns for all ages on Saturday, January 14, with their puppet creations.
- A book discussion and virtual author talk with the author and illustrator of the Real Friends series on Saturday, February 11, for grades 4 to 8.
- For teens, the popular Murder Mystery Party with the theme “Murder Off the Field,” will be held Friday, February 10.
- Adults can choose from a full lineup of programs, including a January 20 presentation on “The Manners of Downton Abbey,” and January 31 and February 16 art workshops. The popular Wits Workout series will be back January 12 and February 9, as well.
Check the winter newsletter or parkridgelibrary.org for the full schedule of programs.