Need a book for a homework project? Or doing research for a paper? We’re here to help.
It’s as easy as 1-2-3!
- Find your book in our online catalog.
- Place your book on hold through a holds request or by logging into your account.
- Pick it up through Contact-Free Pickup.
If you can't find the right book in the catalog, check out our e-books and e-audiobooks on Axis360, Hoopla, and Overdrive/Libby. To find these, visit our E-books and Downloadables page. Need help finding a good book to read? Get book recommendations through a Book Match or check out our Kids Booklists.
We also have a variety of online resources covering a wide array of topics. From biographies on important people in history (Biography in Context) to in-depth science articles (Science in Context) and live homework help (Tutor.com) to math activity sheets (Teachables), find these and much more on our Homework Help page and our databases for kids.
If you need some help from the Children’s Department staff to find the right book or resource, you can email us at email@example.com or contact our Virtual Help Desk via our "Ask a Children's Librarian" live Chat or by phone at 847-825-4527.
Virtual Help Desk Hours
Monday through Thursday 10:00 am to 8:00 pm
Friday and Saturday 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Sunday 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Want a number of books for your toddler or young reader? The Children's Department has created Grab & Go Bundles, a preselected group of books by age or reading level.
Bundles are available for toddlers and preschoolers (2 & 3 year-olds or 4 & 5 year-olds) and early readers (A & B beginning reading levels or C & D more advanced reading levels).
Fill out this form and we'll create a Grab & Go bundle for your child for Contact Free Pickup.
Pick-Me-Up Craft Kits
Pick one up when you pick up your holds during Contact-Free Pickup.
We will introduce a new craft every other Tuesday!
November 17: Thanksgiving Headband - ALL GONE
December 1: Pete the Kitten
If the last few months of shelter-at-home have gotten you down, we’ve got just the thing to pick you back up! Stop by to grab one of our Pick-Me-Up Crafts to bust that boredom and shorten the screen time. Using a contact-free pickup method, we provide the basic supplies and plans, you provide the creativity and stellar crafting skills (maybe some glue).
- Crafts will be available on a first come, first serve basis while supplies last.
- Look for the blue cart by the Contact Free Pickup table. If the cart is not out, we're all out of the craft.
- Kits include the special supplies needed, but you may still need some basics from home like glue, tape, scissors, crayons, etc.
- Use your best social distancing behavior, and wear your mask!
- Caregivers, please take one kit per child in your caregiving unit.
Share your creations with us on Facebook, Instagram @prplkids or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.