We are "Building Tomorrow" starting May 7.
The Park Ridge Public Library has been serving the community since 1913. The current library was built in 1958 and an addition was added in 1977 that doubled the size of the building.
Because the Library is a popular gathering place, we want it to be one of the most welcoming places in the community and are excited about starting a renovation that will create a vibrant, contemporary space.
CHECK OUT WHAT'S CHANGING!
- Redesigned lobby with vestibule
- New furniture and carpeting
- All new Children’s area New technology spaces
- More study rooms
- Larger media lab
- New larger Teen Loft
- Upgraded lighting
- More power outlets
- Remodeled restrooms
- Self-checkout stations on first & second floor
- And more!
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
Our goal is to maintain regular hours throughout the project. If we need to modify hours during the construction, we will keep you updated via our website.
The parking lot and drive-through book drops will be open.
Study rooms will be replaced with new expanded spaces and will not be available during Phase 2 of the construction.
The first and third floor meeting rooms will not be available throughout construction.
Collections will be moving around to accommodate construction. Some items may be stored offsite and access will be limited the construction, we will keep you updated via our website.
Some programs will be on hiatus or held offsite during construction. The Summer Newsletter (coming in June) will outline programming for the next three months.
While we are building a new, larger Media Lab, there will be limited access to this equipment.
Computers, copiers, printers and the scan/fax stations will be available but moving around to accommodate construction.
PHASE 1 — SPRING / SUMMER
The entire third floor and the current Adult Fiction area will be under construction.
The Teen Loft will be located in the First Floor Meeting Room.
Adult Fiction material is moving to the existing Nonfiction shelves.
Second floor bathrooms will be closed.
PHASE 2 — SUMMER / FALL
The new Teen Loft will be open on the third floor and the current Nonfiction/Reference will be under construction.
- The most popular Adult Fiction will be relocated in the new Nonfiction area.
- Because additional study rooms are being built and existing rooms remodeled, they will not be available until the end of the project.
PHASE 3 — Fall / Late 2018
- The first floor and Administrative Office on the second floor will be under construction.
- The Library entrance will temporarily move to the second floor.
- Children’s collection will be relocated to the second floor.
- Circulation will be located on the second floor during this time.
- The columns at the Prospect Avenue entrance will be replaced.
CHECK BACK OFTEN TO STAY INFORMED
Our newsletter, Facebook page and emails will also provide updates.
The timeline is approximate due to the uncertainties of the construction process.