Park Ridge Post Office 1940 - 1970
Restored and Installed in the Park Ridge Public Library 2013
"Indians Cede the Land" by George Melville Smith was created for the Park Ridge Post Office at 164 South Prospect Ave. as part of the Treasury Relief Art Project and was installed on June 20, 1940, when the building was just three years old.
The mural was removed in 1970, when the building was sold and kept in storage for 38 years. In 2008, the mural was donated to the Park Ridge Public Library and a group of citizens took on the task of raising funds for the restoration and installation of the mural.
On Friday, February 22, 2013, as part of the Library's 100th Anniversary celebration, the restored mural was unveiled in its current location on the second floor of the Park Ridge Public Library.
With input from the Park Ridge community, the Board of Trustees approved keeping the mural in its current location (the southwest corner of the second floor) after the Renovation 2018 project is completed. While construction is going on, the Library is working with a conservator to ensure that the mural will be protected.
To read more about the history of the mural and the artist along with the efforts of the Mural Restoration Committee click on the links below.
The booklet includes a history of the mural along with the list of donors and those involved in the restoration. Mural Booklet
To learn more about the artist, the history of the mural and the subject it depicts click on History of the Mural and the Artist
Photos of the Mural installation and unveiling can be found in our Flickr album titled Post Office Mural.
"Ask Geoffrey" segment on Chicago Tonight - begins at minute 4 Click Here
"Saving a New Deal Mural" by John Schmidt - Chicago History Today Blog WBEZ Click Here
NEW - The United States Postal Museum included our mural in their new online exhibit: