Do you reading habits fluctuate depending on the time of year? For many people, summer means time off of work, or weekend getaways that bring a little downtime. Extended daytime hours make it easier to sneak in some reading, as well. If you or anyone in your family if reading more right now, keep the momentum into the fall with some of our newest programs and tried and true services:
Patch Club for Kids
Track your reading at parkridgelib.beanstack.org
We Read Together
Pre-readers from birth to 3rd grade can read 25 books with an adult or advanced reader and earn a patch. Pick up a paper log or track your reading on Beanstack.
Independent readers can choose a theme, from fiction to mystery to sports, and read 10 books to earn a patch. Pick up a reading log or track your reading on Beanstack.
Get more information on the patch clubs here.
[100 Books Before Graduation]
[100 Books Before Eighth Grade Graduation]
Ready to join? Here’s how:
- Register for the challenge that matches your grade on Beanstack (if you’ve done Summer Reading or Winter Reading Clubs before, you already have an account). Then stop by the Teen Loft and pick up your starter kit and get ready to start reading! You can sign up any time after your last day of 5th grade, but only the books you read after registering count toward the program.
- Read! What you read is your choice (as long as what you’re reading and tracking is appropriate for you) - and you can count the books you already have to read for school. If you get stuck, we’ve got tons of recommended booklists, brand new books, or personalized suggestions. Log your completed books in Beanstack.
- Did we mention prizes? Stop by the Teen Loft after every 25 books and receive a prize!
- When you complete your 100th book, you’ll receive a grand prize to celebrate your awesomeness.
Once you’re registered, you can start recording your books and be on your way to completing the challenge. The challenge ends when you graduate* or when you complete 100 books, whichever comes first.
* Don’t finish your 100 before 8th grade ends? That’s fine - we’ll move your progress over to the high school program.
Sign up on Beanstack and pick up your starter kit in the Teen Loft. Get entered to win prizes as you work toward the goal of reading 100 books!
For adults, our librarians can keep you reading what you love with great recommendations! Visit parkridgelibrary.org/book-match-adults/ and fill out a brief form letting us know what authors and genres are your favorites.
[Book Club – did we make a graphic for the book club corner in 2019?]
Has your book club strayed over the summer? Reboot with help from our librarians and our huge selection of book discussion titles that will get the group talking again! Visit parkridgelibrary/book-club-corner to learn more and see what new titles are included in the collection that will allow your members to each have a copy of their own.