Skip to Main Content

Our History

  • The first Park Ridge Public Library opened its doors on December 6, 1913. The original building, built with a $7,500 grant from the Carnegie Foundation still stands at 1 N. Northwest Hwy.
  • Originally the library was open 10 hours a week. Hours increased to 15 in 1923 and by 1932 the Library was open 61 hours per week.
  • The original building served as the City's library for 44 years until a new one was built across the street. The current library was built in 1958. An addition was added in 1977 that doubled the size of the building.
  • Today the Library is open seven days a week, a total of 70 hours, and averages more than 1,200 visitors per day.
  • In 2013 the Library celebrated its 100th Anniversary with a yearlong celebration. As part of the celebration staff created a timeline of the Library’s history and installed the restored Post Office Mural on the second floor.   
  • To learn more – click on Library History and Post Office Mural in the column to the left.